Happy Friday! It’s been a long cold week here in H-town. The city pretty much shut down for 2 days for a winter weather event. We made it through the sub-zero temperatures with one broken pipe (thankfully a minor fix).
I’m sharing a look at my 2018 racing schedule today. Just last month I was lamenting about the sparseness of my racing schedule. Holly over at Hoho Runs suggested that it would likely fill out after the Houston Marathon. She was right! After I got that little piece of business finished, I went to town scheduling in some races. I had a little time with my thoughts, plus the Trail Racing Over Texas sign-up-a-thon didn’t hurt either. My year isn’t fully planned… but I’ve got some fun stuff planned.
A Look At My 2018 Racing Schedule
- January 27 – Running The Rose. This is a trail race at Tyler State Park. I had actually signed up for it last fall. I’m running the 11 mile distance, then volunteering afterwards. It should be a ton of fun… plus free tacos!
- February 18 – Galveston Half Marathon. I ran this last year… and had so much fun I wanted to do it again. The course runs along the seawall for a lot of it and along the road to East Beach. I couldn’t pass up a chance to run in Galveston.
- April 7 – Brazos Bend 50k. Yep… 50k, I’ve signed up for my next big scary goal! I ran the 25k at this event last year, and had an amazing time. This is at Brazos State Park… home of a bunch of alligators!
- May 5 – Wildflower Trail Race. I’ve signed up for the 10k… considering doing the half marathon the following day. I’ll need to think on that a bit. This one is at Bastrop State Park outside of Austin. I’m hoping to do a little camping there too.
- October 13 – Orion Ultra. I’ve signed up for the half marathon. This one is on the beach in Surfside, TX. I really wanted to do it last year, but the timing with Chicago Marathon didn’t work out.
I’ve got a few other races that I’m looking at, but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I have a lot of trail races on my schedule, hoping to get a few more road races on there just to balance it out.
How is your race calendar shaping up for 2018? Do you prefer road or trail?